Wednesday 2 June 2010

NEW PODCAST FROM MARATHON TALK AND RICKSRUNNING TIP OF THE WEEK!




Should I turn THE RUBBISH 5K into a PARKRUN ?

RUNNING FREE MAGAZINE
Free to read digital edition LINK

RICKSRUNNING TIP
I've been feeling like my feet have been hitting the ground too hard, I've tried all sorts of posture checks, changing shoes etc, but still my feet seem to be getting a hammering!
Thankfully on today's run I found the problem, basically I've been pushing my toes down into my shoes, end result is this was locking my foot arch solid, stopping my arches from flattening out on impact then springing back to return the energy on take off!
the simple cure was to keep my toes relaxed, straight away I felt a big difference my arches became mini trampolines, absorbing shock then springing back and returning the energy.
Now I'm running with less shock and more bounce again, RESULT :]

Wed 2nd June
Good run over the big sand dunes with Tess, warm with wall to wall sunshine [ shorts and shoes only weather] , poor Tess suffered in the heat despite taking frequent dips in all the ponds on the way round.
I was feeling much better than of late. = 1 hour 40 mins
Tue 1st
I was meant to do 30 x 20 sec at level 4 with 20 sec recovery, but I some how lost count and ended with 33 efforts! = 1.09

3 comments:

Ewen said...

I'll think about that tip Rick. I've never really thought about what my toes are doing.

So you hit the ground hard? The quickest vet in our club has a very loud foot-strike. Doesn't seem to slow him down, as he runs under 33 for 10k at 47.

Thanks for the classic bikes link. I should have kept my Honda 750. And 7,000 pounds for a Z900... incredible!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Yeah 7 Grand for an old Z1 is amazing, think there playing to our rose tinted memories!!!
a new bike will do everything twice as well.
i think we would be kind of disapointed to ride the old bangers now:]
My foot banging has improved greaty since relaxing my feet, but yes some fast runners do kind of slap into the ground.

Ewen said...

That's right! I'd rather have my bike than the ones of 20 years ago.

I'm going to try the relaxed feet idea.