Monday 9 August 2010

SELF PUNISHMENT

I Was sure tonight's session was 7 x 9 mins [ 3 mins L2 - 3 mins L3 - mins L4] with 2 mins Rec.
It seemed like a lot, but I went ahead and did it!
Only when I returned and checked Marius's training program did I find I should have done only 4 not 7 reps, Oops!
using my Hillside loop I set off after a warm up into my first effort, 3 mins at L2, [which for me is 6.48 pace, about 30 sec below my marathon pace], after 3 mins I accelerated up to L3 [ marathon - 1/2 marathon pace] for another 3 mins, then the last 3 mins required another acceleration up to L4 [ 10k pace]. This was followed by 2 mins easy before the next set of 9 min efforts, easy right :]
I have to say I had a bit of trouble trying to hold L4 pace which should have been at 5.44 pace, maybe subconsciously i knew I had a long way to go so held myself back a little, anyway finding out I only needed to do 4 and not 7 reps made me feel a lot better :]
1 hour 26 mins inc warm up and down and 6 x smart strides
I wore my Spira Competition shoes for the session, not worn them for a while, I still really like them. At 220 g they are ultra light and flexible, yet the spira springs absorb impact amazingly well, my Newton's feel really heavy and restrictive by comparison, so I reckon on using the Spira's in my next Marathon!
I think the way to go is; Do most of my training in very minimal shoes, so my feet and legs can get as strong as possible but use a shoe like the Spira in races so I can run as fast as possible with the least amount of impact to my body.
Less muscle damage means faster race times!

6 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Sounds like a tough workout, but doing nearly twice as much as the schedule says will do that to you. :-)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

:]

Samurai Running said...

Hey Rick

I was just going through the stuff on Marius Bakken and want to get the 100 day plan but just wanted ask if I can use the 2:45 plan and adjust it to go lower and how easy is it to do that?

Thanks for your help with this. I swear without you or Ewen I'd be lost!

Thanks as always

Scott

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Scott I left a message on your blogsite.

Ewen said...

I always thought that Scott Brown was a nice fellow. Now I'm not so sure ;)

With the Spira Competition, what's the fit like? I need a wideish forefoot, or at least one that will stretch like the Free.

Thanks again Rick for the links, videos. Agree that heel hopping wouldn't be comfortable! Also the latest Steve Magness one. I've been waiting for that.

Samurai Running said...

"Less muscle damage means faster race times!"

Dam! I should have read this before my marathon ;)