Wednesday 4 August 2010

2 HOUR PROGRESSION RUN IN THE HILLS

Marius Bakken session
40 mins easy - 40 mins steady and 40 mins at harder than marathon effort
In my build up to London i did this session on flat roads, finishing the last 40 mins at 6.17 pace, but today I decided the Langdale mountain marathon with 5,000ft of climbing would require a different aproach!
So I set off from Parbold, starting at level one for 40 mins, yes it all started innocently enough, but I knew what was to come!

After climbing up the one mile stony lane climb and almost reaching the top of the very steep Hunters Hill I reached 40 mins and it was time to up the pace.
I pushed up to level 2, had to run pretty fast to keep my pulse rate to the correct level on the downhills, but soon I was climbing again up through the dirt paths to Harrock hill.
As a reached Hunter Hill for the second time it was time to dig deep and push on to level 3 and try and hold harder than marathon effort!
I ran this effort on a roller roller coaster road loop which included Harrock Hill.
I finished quite strongly, my legs did take a hammering on the down hills, but I need to get used to it, because the toughest road Marathon in Britain has some evil ups and downs in its 26.2 miles!
40 mins L1-40 mins L2- 40 mins L3 plus 12 mins warm down = 2.12
This is just the kind of session you need to get used to the increasing effort and pain needed to finish a marathon well!
HARD WORK BUT WELL WORTH IT :]

Ritzenhein signs up for Great North Run LINK


TriCenter: Lance Armstrong & ITU London LINK

No comments: