Wednesday 25 March 2009

RUNNING FAST IN THE WIND!


After yesterdays glucose depleting 20 miles run in the wind and rain I was not really looking forward to the 4 mile tempo run recommended on the Runners World program.
The sun was out but the wind was still gusting strongly, it was going to be another tough one.
R.W. recommended 6.13 pace, I decided to break the session down into 3 miles and one mile.
Despite the wind I felt quite strong and finished the 3.1 mile loop with an average 5.57 pace, a couple of mins easy and straight into the 1 mile, running round a half mile block meant some sharp cornering was in order, [ the Garmin graph shows wild fluctuations in speed as I have to decelerate and accelerate out of the corners] but I felt strong again and finish with 5.46.
Back in 2003 I had my best year with p.b.s of 2.48 marathon, 21.31 4 miles and 27.11 5 miles.
I always use to train hard Tuesday, Wednesday, with easy runs up to the weekend, I've started doing this again over the last couple of weeks and it seems to work, don't know why but I just feel a whole lot more aggressive on the Wednesday, if I leave my second hard run until Thursday I always seem to feel flat!
Shoes SPIRA.

3.1 MILES, 5.57 PACE, Av 10.1 MPH, MAX 12.6 MPH = 18.29
plus 1 MILE, Av 10.4 MPH, MAX 11.6 MPH, = 5.46
Thur 26th
Easy run over the big sandhills with Tess, tired today after my 2 hard days.
= 1.24
Fri 27th
Easy run with 6 x 20 sec leg speed session, downhill on grass.
= 46 mins

No comments: