Wednesday 18 March 2009

MAGIC RECOVERY, 11 MILES AT 6.19 PACE


It was a beautiful spring afternoon, so after a couple of hours sleep after my night shift I got up ready for a long tempo run, Runners World recommended 12 miles at marathon pace but as I'd raced 20 miles on Sunday I thought 10 might be more than enough.
I'm now thinking that I might be capable of 6.27 pace at London.
As it will be 10 years in April since I first ran a marathon [ LONDON 99] when I ran 2.49 I'm sort of thinking of trying to equal that time, it would be a good accomplishment, 10 years older and all!
Anyway back to my tempo run, after a quick warm up I started the Garmin and accelerated up to a good cruising speed, I was looking for around 9.3 mph, but after a couple of miles it was up to 9.5 mph and there it stayed for much of the run! Surprisingly the legs were feeling pretty dam good!
Into my second lap and the average dropped down to 9.4 mph as I went over the Trafalgar rd hill for the second time, once over the Hillside bridge my pace quickened again and the last couple of miles turned into a nice progression run, finishing with a half mile wind up sprint !
Once again I was wearing my magic SPIRA shoes.
CONCLUSIONS, VERY QUICK RECOVERY, bloody amazing!
11.01 MILES, 9.5 MPH av, 6.19 pace, max 11.7 mph = 1 hour 9 mins 42 sec
Tue 17th
Steady run down to club fartleck session, legs abit stiff and heavy, held back on the session, legs better by end! = 1.35
TRIMPELL 20 RACE PHOTOS

Thur 19th
Truly awe inspiring weather, wall to wall sunshine and just a gentle wind!
love it !!! felt great, nice easy run with Tess the dog over the sand dunes.
= 1.25

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a great 20 mile race, and on the compliment you received about your running style from the runner you passed at 19 miles. Your recovery is also very impressive. It appears that the Spira shoes are kind to your muscles.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

THANKS CANUTE,
Yes I think the main thing about the SPIRA shoes is better shock absorption during the run which reduces muscle fatigue, letting you run faster for longer and recover faster after!