Wednesday 3 September 2008

RUNNING IN OUR BRITISH WEATHER

Felt less than shar[Rick Dyer's Shadoan courtesy Digital Leisure, Inc. and Virtual Image]p as I set out into a gusting headwind to meet the club in the pinewoods for a fartlek session. My intention was to keep the pace easy as I ran over the sand dunes, but as is often the case a easy pace never seems to feel as comfortable as it should do!
There was an impressive turn out of runners waiting in the woods ready to subject themselves to the harsh elements of wind and torrential rain, MAD LOT!
The first effort was straight into the teeth of the storm, I sat at the back taking it easy after my fast session yesterday, after the first 800m effort we turned into the woods and the welcome shelter of the trees, another four fast sections and we wound up the pace for the final time, the heavens seemed to have been waiting for us and dumped the entire contents of the biggest darkest cloud on our heads, as if we weren't wet enough already! We laughed as we took shelter under the trees as the rain belted down and the sun came out at the same time! Ever wondered why we British talk about the weather so much, well its because it changes every 5 BLOODY minutes!
Ran back with Rob on the road and as is often the case when running with Rob the pace gradually picked up until we were hitting 6.30 min miles with the final half mile getting close to 6 min pace, despite shoes and clothing made heavy and sodden with water! I said my goodbyes to Rob and carried on the final 1.6 miles home. I must say I felt pretty strong at the end of the run and finished with 2 hours 18 mins, All that was left was an eight hour night shift involving much heavy lifting of stock! surely a much harder night than running any marathon!

No comments: