Friday 7 December 2012

Percy Curutty Training Re-visited!

For the past two weeks Tess and myself have been following a Percy inspired training program in the local sandhills!
This week :
On Tuesday we did 4 x 5 min loops in the sand dunes with 2 mins rec.
I worked out a route that inc fast running on smooth grass and a couple of challenging sand dunes.
Each lap took about a minute and a half, we just kept going until 5 mins pasted!
Tess kicked my butt!
At 11 years old Tess my Border Collie should be slowing down!
But on the contrary she seems to be getting stronger!
Wed
I struggled in the cold, running for almost two hours over the high ridges of the dunes!
Thur
Me and Tess hit the Dunes for 20 uphill sprints!
I was knacker but Tess was still :0] at the end!
I've been inspired by Percy Curutty since I read one of his books a couple of years ago.
He was a legendary coach from Australia.
Because I train in the same type of terrain, but more than that he pushed the limits of what was possible!
In a time when you were not meant to step outside  of the imposed box of conformity!
He took training to a new level.
Introducing a program of tempo runs, hills sprints, strides, and weight training, a concept never accepted before! All I can say is both Tess and myself feel invigorated by this more natural form of training!
WE ARE LEGEND!
YOU ME AND THE SETTING SUN :0}

4 comments:

Ewen said...

Love Percy! Go for it Rick (and Tess) - can't wait to see the benefits from this training.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Cheers Ewen, the spirit of Percy lives on!!!

Ewen said...

Want to see you doing it in baggy white shorts and bare feet!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Sorry mate, no baggy shorts here and the bloody bushes that grow in the Southport sandhills have teeth, or should I say thorns and spiky things that cut up your skin!