Friday 24 September 2010

Proof that both pose and Chirunning are based on false science


READ REPORT HERE

Having tried both Pose and ChiRunning my conclusions were that gravity does not pull you forward.
Both methods tell you to lean forward from the ankles to use gravity to pull you forward.
In fact Danny Dreyer recommends that the faster you want to run, lean more forward.
My own conclusion was this just made you land harder on the ground as you fell forward!
But a slight forward lean from the ankles helps by;
1/ letting you lean your body weight into the air resistance or headwind, helping to increase speed.
2/ A slight lean also helps in increasing horizontal force and hence increases speed.
BUT leaning forward does not help you use gravity to run faster!
Thanks to steve Magness for sending me the link




5 comments:

Ewen said...

Thanks for the link Rick. I've used gravity to fall on my face in a few steeplechase races ;)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Steeplechases! those barriers look a bit too high and solid for my liking and I never did like getting my feet wet :]
Hope your feeling fitter and more healthy now Ewen.

Anonymous said...

As you might expect from our discussions of this topic on my blog, I am in complete agreement with all of the points made by Brodie and colleagues in this article on Pose biomechanics.

I think there is no doubt that the theory underlying Pose (and Chi) is wrong. While I think Dr Romanov has a poor understanding of biomechanics, I think he had some good intuitions about running style, and some feature of the practice of Pose are good. However, I also think that other features of the practice are potentially risky. One potentially risky consequence of the erroneous theory of Pose is that it might encourage athletes to underestimate the true forces that act on the body during running.

Good luck in the mountain marathon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your insight.
cheers Rick

Anonymous said...

Yes the report confirmed your own thoughts on running and gravity.
RICK