Sunday 18 January 2009

QUESTION; IN X/C RACES SHOULD ONE USE THE HIP FLEXORS OR THE HAMSTRINGS TO PULL YOUR FOOT OUT OF THE MUD!

I was asking myself this question as I was slip sliding away in the Leyland X/C race on Saturday!
The Gravity running has been working really well on the road, letting me hold higher speeds than before, but running on mud I think a slightly different technique is required!
Maybe you can answer this question, is it better to use the hip flexors to drive the knee forward and up to pull your foot out of the mud and stop it sinking in, or should one use the hamstrings to quickly pull the foot off the ground before it sinks deep into the sticky stuff! Or maybe one should use a combination of hip flexor and hams, do you have the answer to fast mud running, if so let me know!
NEWS FLASH!
Jack Nirenstein of GRAVITY RUNNING answered my question posted on Youtube;

Reply
You need to pull the foot out from the mud first by using the hamstrings to flex the leg at the knee. Then don't concern yourself with driving the knee it happens automatically when you lift the foot to clear the ground and drive the foot forward at the right speed to match the speed of the body going forward. When you work on the knee you lift too high and lose time in bringing the foot forward. The knee science is flawed. Jack Nirenstein
Another to rick. You need the reactive force from the ground for you to get the full exerted force from gravity. That is why running in mud and sand is slow. There is give in the force return from the ground and friction isn't the same as the road to keep the foot in place for the vault. The vault is when the foot stays in place while the top of the leg carries the body from behind the foot to in front of the foot. When you run faster the feet flip farther back and high. Jack Nirenstein
Sat 17th
This was the end of my 3rd hard week and once the race got under way I realized I didn't have much left in my legs, my intention was simply to use the race as a tempo run but running over the mud felt like very hard work and man was I happy to finish, it felt like the last 6 miles of a marathon ! 6 miles = 44 mins
Sun 18th
Run with Jon on the sandhill 6 then I set off on a progression run, slowly building me speed up, finishing with 3 X 1/2 mile loops at close to 10 mph av. total = 1.30
LOOKING FORWARD TO AN EASIER WEEK NEXT WEEK!

No comments: