Saturday 20 November 2010

Running In The hills With Barefoot Paul, Following In The Footsteps Of Gebreselassie

Had a great run with Paul over the steep hills of Parbold and Ashurst Beacon, and it seems the great Geb loves running in the hills too, not because it's easy but because it's hard and it hurts! READ HERE First we went up Stony lane before coming down the quarry path, the next climb was Hunters Hill. Near the top I went for broke and push all out to reach 10.9 MPH at the top with Paul not far behind. on past the Pub [Christmas meals for £9.99 anyone?] we turned right and headed back down Stony Lane at speed, i sprinted ahead and reached 3.54 pace! on the downhill. I want to hold some uphill and down mile races here next month, any takers, it should be fun and your get a P.B. on the downhill race for sure. Next Paul and me descended through the muddy cow fields. One of those thorn creeper branch things {you know what I mean] wrapped it's self round my lower leg, cutting in deep. blood gushed out, but Paul told me to keep running and if I fainted through lack of blood there would be NO WAY he'd carry me back to the car! So we headed up the two mile Ashurst climb with blood dripping down into my shoe! Once we reached the beacon we had a crazy downhill with hairpin bends, more mud followed as we hit the dirt trails and cow fields over to the Fairy glen climb. Paul was running strong as we made our way to the top. One final downhill back to Parbold and job done! Great run thanks paul, one of my most enjoyable sessions :]

8 comments:

Thomas said...

Woah! That's one proper wound, you don't get that on the road, usually.

Junk Miler said...

Holy mackerel, you're fast. I'm pleased a member of the barefoot tribe was able to keep up.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Thomas, well I did split my head open on a lamp post once running with the club!
Thanks josh, fast, mmm! well i was pleased to break 15 mph but this was downhill.
imagine some gifted runners can do that for a mile on the track!

Ewen said...

Thankfully we don't have thorn creepers down here - it's the wild dingos that do that sort of damage ;)

The downhill mile sounds fun Rick. I'm tipping you to at least run a metric 4 minute mile - say, 4:20. I might need you to organise a downhill 5k.

Q said...

Youch!

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Yes YOUCH indeed! look out for the man eating vegatation if you ever come to the UK.
ewen, I offer you a free invite to my hill climb comp!

Stevie L said...

Sounds a great session Rick. Drag me along next next time as I will need for the practice for the Parbold event.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Your more than welcome Steve.