Tuesday 18 October 2011

Runners High!


Arthur Lydiard marathon Training Week 3

Big Improvement!
Marathon Pace Sub-Threshold Run
The wind was howling outside, not a good day for my long marathon paced run my subconscious mind kept nagging me!
This was the 3rd time I've run this session and I was sure the wind would slow me by a minute or more.
Heading out into the wind with Tess sheltering behind me I kept to marathon effort [not pace], I kept my breathing steady, the effort felt good and relaxed!
Reaching the tops of some of the bigger sand dunes the wind almost blew me over on more than one occasion.
After turning around at the half way point [Busters Lagoon] Tess took the lead and bounded off in front of me.
It was good to have someone to follow, we got into a groove and rode the trails back home.
With the wind on my shoulder progress was good.
With the final 3/4 of a mile on the road our pace quickened to 6-6.10 pace.
Tess paced me well and in shocking conditions we ran over a minute faster than last week with the same effort!
This Lydiard training is magic!
MP Session
Week one = 55.49
Week two = 55.29
Week three = 54.20
Sub-threshold Runs [MP pace]
Keith Livingstone told me Lydiards boys would do this session over 10 miles on the road, starting at about 62 mins and being able with the same effort after 8 weeks base training to drop their times down to 55 mins !
These sessions are the safest way to push up your aerobic threshold, faster tempo runs [10K-15K pace] should be saved for the final four weeks of your marathon
training to bring you to a peak!

2 comments:

Ewen said...

That's a great improvement Rick. Don't tell Scotty your training secrets or he might beat you to 2:39 ;)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Well Ewen I never mind helping a bloke when he's in trouble :0]