Saturday 30 May 2009

17.74 miles and 5 climbs

It was a very warm sunny day as I set out on another Arthur Lydiard type long hill run, luckily there was a breeze to help cool me down, even so I still got some what dehydrated, over 2 hours running without water meant my weight had dropped down to 10 stone 12 lb by the end of the run!
Once again I ran over 5 big climbs, inc Stoney Lane, Hunters Hill, I then followed the Harrock Hill Race route [ Brian Grice informs me that I have run 27 Harrock Hill races since its inception in 2000, the most by any Southport Waterloo runner!] down through the fields then up Parbold hill over the fields, then on to Harrock Hill and back to Hunters which I climbed again, I then followed a 7 mile roller coaster road loop round to Harrock hill which I climbed on the road, the last few miles I could start to feel my energy draining away but my legs still felt better than Mondays long run!
On 2 of the climbs I did Arthur Lydiards springing exercise, I'm convinced this will help me run faster in my up coming hill races.
I WANT TO START FINISHING IN THE TOP TEN, SOON!
RUNS, WALKS ROUND PARBOLD COUNTRYSIDE
Shoes NIKE LUNAR, weight 10st 12 lb
1840 ft of climbing, 17.74 miles = 2.17

TRAINING FOR THE WEEK
Sun 31st
Easy run with Jon in the pinewoods = 1.17.30
Sat 30th
Parbold hill run, 1840 ft climbing = 2.17
Fri 29th
Steady aerobic run with some 10 sec sprints = 24 mins
Thur 28th
10 x short hill sprints, av speed 12 mph, then 4 x 400 at 5.11 - 5.20 pace
= 45 mins
Wed 27th
Afternoon, easy run with Niz = 25 mins
Evening, Harrock Hill Race, 11th place = 36.48
Tue 26th
Easy run with Jon = 45 mins
Mon 25th
Arthur Lydiard long hill run = 2.15

2 comments:

Ewen said...

Nice week of training. You were faster than me for the hilly 17.74 miles than I was for the 4 mile cross country race yesterday.

So a very warm sunny day would be around 33C (91F)? That's pretty standard for a summer day down here ;)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Er, we maybe hit 24C so I guess you would be running in WOOLLY HAT AND THERMALS if you were running here!
And I would melting behind the shelter of a tree if I was out running in Australia!