Saturday 4 April 2009

22 miles off road with Tracey and Steady Eddie




It was the day of the Grand National, so you would expect it to be windy wouldn't you, the Girls down at the race course must have had a hard time keeping warm and their modesty in tact as the wind blew around and gusted up their skirts !
Good news for us was the wind blew away the threatening dark clouds and it turned into a great day to be out in the fresh air, getting the miles
in. Runners World had this as the last very long run, next week is down to 18 miles, I was more than happy with the result of my epic run last weekend so I was looking for a easier pace today. We headed off from Birkdale village making our way to hillside and the start of our off road excursion. Over the sandhills and the Big Dipper, onwards to Ainsdale and Formby pinewoods, doing a loop round to the Lifeboat rd car park,then heading back along the coastal path to Southport. Tracey had told boyfriend Rob that she was running 22 miles so when we were almost back with only 21 miles on the Garmin I made her do an extra loop, I told her she would thank me for it when it came time to run London! I reckon 22 off rd must be worth 25 miles on the road taking into account all the soft sand and sand dunes! So well done to Tracey and Eddie for completing the run in good shape! 22 miles off road = 3 hours 22 mins
Sun 5th
Run with Jon and Chris through the pinewoods at easy pace, the last half mile turned into a progression run as I gradually picked up the pace, Chris hung in surprisingly
well as we started to fly along and looks good for next Fridays 4 mile race. = 1.07

2 comments:

Grellan said...

3:22 is a serious amount of time to be on your feet. Another solid long run in the bag as you ease up for London.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Yes Grellan my main aim today was to get a long one in without doing to much muscle damage!
I think I'm in the best shape I could ever hope for, so its just a matter of not blowing it by pushing to hard in the final weeks.
by the way you seem to be getting in some really impressive long runs in yourself!