Saturday 3 January 2009

COASTAL PATH REVISITED

COASTAL PATH MAP
I decided to run the coastal path route again today, after doing a tempo run last night then working the night shift I got just 3 hours sleep before I had to get up!
I got the train down to hall rd and jogged to the start, the legs were feeling a bit tired at the start but over the last few miles I started to feel better knowing I was almost home.
Back in November 2003 I ran both ways none stop in 3.41 about 7.8 mph, not bad taking into account the miles and miles of soft sand and sand dunes! [ I started in September of that year running 4 hours 20 mins and improved to 3 hours 41 mins in only 2 months, maybe I can do it again!]
That year i started training for London in September, running 14 hours per week! by November I was flying, I remember doing the double coastal path in 3.43 [ 29 miles] then running the Preston 10 mile the next day in freezing conditions, I wore a cycle thermal top, Ron hill tracksters and a wooly hat and criused round in 58 mins, Sadly I had peaked out and by the marathon in April I was as flat as a pancake!
Today I could only manage 7.3 mph average for the 14 .37 miles, but I was still 3 mins faster than on Thursday.
with a warm up and running home it gave me over 15 miles total.
14.37 miles = 1 hour 57 mins

+ 10 mins easy
Sun 4th Steady run on the road, coastal rd loop,7.91 miles at 8.3 mph, 7.15 pace
=54.20

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Impressive, but make sure you don't end up as flat again.

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Thanks for comment Thomas, I.ve been told I'm bonkers by a friend for running the coastal path route again so soon!
But its not been a normal week what with having time off work due to holidays!
I plan to hold myself back a bit until mid feb when I will increase my training, i reckon on needing only six weeks to peak out on high mileage.
Also after feeling fresher after having a week off with flu I might build in some recovery weeks into my program, better to be fresh and under trained than flat and over trained!RIGHT!