Saturday 24 January 2009

22 mile Pier run at 7.11 pace

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Observer/Pix/pictures/2008/05/23/pier460x276.jpgThis was the first of my really long runs, after a mile I headed into the sandhills on a 3.5 mile roller coaster trip. I got back on the road with an average 7.8 mph showing on my Garmin. Once I reached the woodvale traffic lights I turned left and back towards Ainsdale.
I was wearing a pair of heavy well padded Nikes, I wondered how I could have run so well in them in last years Blackpool marathon [ I chose them because of the many miles of concrete sea wall you have to run at Blackpool] dam they are so heavy and inflexible, I can't seem to run smoothly or fast in them. The temptation was too much, as my loop came within a mile of home I decided on a detour!
A quick change into my new very lite Nike explosions and I was on my way once more, wow what a difference, I felt so much better, I was hitting 9 mph over the gravel path over the reclaimed tip.
Back on the road I settled into a steady pace , past churchtown and the botanic gardens and on to crossens.
Back on the coast rd into a headwind for 5 miles, this was tough mental training, off in the far distance I could see the pier, but it never seemed to get closer, endless tarmac, endless headwind sapping my energy away!
With a sigh of relief I went past Southports recently rebuilt famous landmark [ the pier] another mile and I would be home!
With 20.5 miles reached I passed home and embarked on 3 half mile loops at marathon pace, surprisingly I now felt better than any time during the whole run, I rattled off 3 continuous laps at 6.27 pace to finish with an average of 22.09 miles at 7.11 pace, 8.35 mph.
I wish I'd felt slightly more comfortable during the run, I felt half asleep, only 3 hours sleep after the night shift didn't help much! At least I finished strongly and a few more long ones should make both my legs and confidence stronger!

1 comment:

Grellan said...

Top class run Rick. Looking in good form for London. Don't overdo it though.