Friday, 8 July 2011

How Running Off Road Can Help You Overcome Injury Problems!


Since switching to running off road [ grass -sand] I've been able to run four days in a row and felt my calf muscle get stronger with each run.

Amazingly running on the very springy grass oval at the side of Victoria park I've found I can run really fast without any problems, getting down to 5.13 pace for a 400m loop!
I've been starting my runs with a 3/4 mile warm up walk down to the park, followed by an easy run round the velvet trail. finishing off with some strides [30 sec run-30 walk] on the grass oval and also gradually adding some 400m loops at a good pace.
On my run home on the road I've followed Sarah Halls advice and run really slowly with a shortened stride to avoid the impact from the road.
As soon I finish my runs I make sure to stretch out the calf muscles which should help the new muscle fibers from shortening and becoming injured again!
Fri
1/2 mile walk followed by run to Busters lagoon and back, then 4 x 400m and strides [max 14.2 mph] on grass oval = 1 hour 16 mins
Thur
3/4 mile walk followed by run round the Velvet Trail then 3x 400m and strides on grass
=45 mins
Wed
Visit to Sarah Hall for treatment on calf.
3/4 mile walk followed by very easy run round the Velvet Trail then strides on grass oval
= 40 mins
Tue
Ran to park but calf started to lock up after only 3/4 mile on road!
Walked for a bit then did some easy strides on grass oval.
Calf very sore after run :0[
Mon
Bike ride with 5 x 1 mile hill loops pushed very hard.
= 42 mins

Is barefoot running on Tarmac Natural for the body?
If you look at Kenyan runners who ran barefoot from an early age you will find that they did this on soft dirt roads and not unforgiving hard surfaces such as Tarmac or concrete!
Based on my own findings using the Saucony Hattori I think I'll keep them for fast sessions on the grass only, I think my body needs more padding when road running!
Wish List


SONGS FROM THE SHED



3 comments:

bricey said...

It's good to see that things are coming along. Injuries can be frustrating but patience is always the solution .. I know :)

RICK'S RUNNING said...

Thanks Bricey,
I follow in your footsteps , I will be back :0]

Anonymous said...

[p]Avoid light colored shoes for interview and by no means wear white shoes to an interview unless it's for a nursing position . Firstly I will [url=http://www.uggssbootscanada.info]ugg boots canada[/url] talk about UGG boots' Origin . The prints of the UGG boots tall range from roses [url=http://www.uggssbootscanada.info]ugg boots canada sale
[/url] and flowers to marbled patterns and solid colors . Ugg boots-fashion is an attitude I have never tried sheepskin boots ever before, let alone the luxury Ugg sheepskin boots . During 2001-the earliest year or so for the twentieth 100 years, Nike launches the main Shox established shoes, than the Nike remarks that your Nike Shox boots or shoes don't just break down effects with back attack despite the fact that functioning; and also they "spring back" together with add more even more power to a good runner's step . : men's [url=http://www.uggssbootscanada.info]mens ugg boots canada mens[/url] wear . If the associated fee sounds fantastic, it all probably is . To join in the latest fashion trend or to take good care of your [url=http://www.uggssbootscanada.com]ugg boots canada[/url] feet, it' s a great idea to add a pair of Australian sheepskin boots into your wardrobe now.[/p][p]After i appeared to be young, I enjoy enjoy our the whole family along the steady supply . Ugg Boots are simply the must have footwear in any ladies collection and thanks to Ugg's large range of shoes, sandals, slippers and boots there is a style to suit all tastes and requirements . The cheap high heels boots for women are special in the fringed tasseled sheepskin detail and rivet in the surface . Many style conscious people even paraded to ask these uncivilized shoes banned . There's some websites specialized affairs [url=http://www.uggssbottespascher.info]ugg pas cher femme[/url] UGG 5815 . [url=http://www.cheapuggsbootsukonline.co.uk]cheap ugg boots uk[/url] 2 . Made of the softest distressed full-grain leather and lined with genuine sheepskin, the Kensington has buckle hardware and a signature metal UGG logo on the heel.[/p]